Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Self-Help Criminal

Self-Help Criminal

Criminal court is where you go to face charges if the State thinks you have broken a law and committed a crime.

The District Attorney’s Office represents the State in a criminal case. Each county has its own District Attorney’s Office.

  • Appeals

    After a jury or court trial, you can ask a higher court (called an appellate court) to review the decision in your case. This is called an appeal. Read this page for more information.

  • Bail Refunds

    This page answers questions such as how do you get your bail money back, how long will it take, who will get the money refunded, and what if you posted a property bond?

  • Criminal Case Records

    Read this page for information on how to see and/or get a copies of public records from a criminal case. Some information is online, and some must be accessed in person or by mail.

  • Criminal FAQs

    Frequently Asked Questions about DUIs, probation, jail, inmate information, criminal rules and forms, the state felony code, warrants, and legal counsel/public defenders.

  • Felonies

    A felony is the most serious kind of crime. If found guilty, the defendant can be sent to state prison or receive the death penalty. Murder, rape, and robbery are all felony crimes.

  • Misdemeanors

    A misdemeanor is a crime that can be punished by up to 1 year in jail. A misdemeanor violations could be: petty theft, driving on a suspended license, vandalism, or drunk driving.

  • Paying Fines

    This page covers how and where to pay a fine, what happens if you're late paying, what "civil assessment" is, and how to clear a hold on your Driver's License.

  • Property Bonds

    A defendant who doesn’t have enough money to pay bail can post a property bond, pledging the value of real property to the Court to guarantee that they will appear in court

  • Record Clearance

    Many criminal convictions can be “cleared” from your record. This means you can sometimes ask the court to take a conviction off your record. Read this page to learn how.