Skip to main content
Skip to main content.



This page tells you about how to file for a divorce, legal separation or nullity. Divorce can be complicated. We encourage you to talk to a private family law lawyer so you will know about your legal rights and the legal issues in your case.

On this website when we refer to divorce (also called "dissolution") the same instructions will often apply in legal separation and nullity cases, too. We will use the term "divorce" to refer to all 3 types of cases and point out differences.

A legal separation is a case where you will get a judgment that settles all the issues in your case, just like a divorce judgment does, except that you will still be married to your spouse when the case is finalized.

A nullity (sometimes referred to as an "annulment") is a case where if you get a judgment, it is as if you and the other party were never married. Nullities are rare and unusual, and the laws about when they can be granted are very specific.

This page gives you information on:

  1. Options for handling your divorce case
  2. Forms
  3. Fees
  4. How to File
  5. Getting Court Orders
  6. Financial Disclosures
  7. Help Coming to an Agreement - Mediation and Collaborative Law
  8. How to Finish Your Case

Also see Family Law Frequently Asked Questions, including how to get copies of a divorce case file, how to dismiss a Family Law case, and other helpful information.

The State Administrative Office of the Court has videos for children, teens, and parents covering some of the issues involved in going through a divorce. See Families Change - Your Guide to Separation and Divorce.

Visit the Self-Help Workshop web page to see if there is a workshop where you can get help with the forms.