Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Insurance Violations

Insurance Violations

    All drivers in California must have evidence of financial responsibility (proof of insurance). You must show it to any law enforcement officer who asks for it. (Vehicle Code Section 16028(a) and 16028(b) .)

    If you had insurance when you got your ticket, but did not have proof at the time you were stopped, you must show proof to the Court or have the citation signed off by DMV.

    The Court will ask you to pay a dismissal fee, then dismiss the charge.

    The clerk will accept:

    • A copy of the insurance policy that was valid on the date of the violation
    • A copy of an identification card issued by the insurance company, and showing the:
      • Name of the insurance company
      • Insurance policy number
      • Date coverage begins (must be effective on the date of the violation)
      • Date coverage ends
    • A letter from the insurance company saying the defendant or the vehicle was insured on the date of the violation (including a " covering note" as required by Insurance Code 382 )
    • A copy of a surety bond valid on the date of the violation, as required by Vehicle Code section 16056 . Be sure to indicate the deposit number issued by DMV
    • A certificate of self-insurance issued by DMV (VC 16052 )
    • Documents that show the vehicle is owned or leased by, or under the direction of a public entity as defined in Government Code GC 811.2

    These documents can be in the defendant’s name or in the owner of the vehicle’s name.

    You must pay the fines even if you now have insurance. Only a judicial officer can adjust the fine amount.